Wednesday, August 18, 2010

First Day of School. How did this happen so fast?

Today was the first day of Fifth grade for Luke.

AKA, last year at Hill Elementary. One more year, and we’ll have a Middle School-er. 4 years until high school. 8 years until college. That noise you hear is me, passing out. I am sure that all of those years will hold good things, but I am just as sure they will go by too fast…

Join me on a walk down memory lane…

This was us, roughly five years ago today:

School 002 School 003School 016 

I must be a glutton for punishment, because these pictures? Break my heart. Look what a cutie-pie shrimp he was!!  His backpack is almost as big as he is!! Matt and I had only been married for 2 1/2 months when Luke started Kindergarten, and I was still figuring out what it meant to be his mom. Praise God for half-day kindergarten, wish we still had that option! I remember thinking my heart would explode from loving him. Little did I know that was just the beginning…

First Grade (Mrs. Day):

first day of first grade 2 first day of first grade

Second Grade (Mrs. DeNino):

First day of Second Grade 003

Buzz cut!!

Third Grade (Mrs. Hand):

First Day of Third Grade 002 First Day of Third Grade 003

(that was officially the last year he let me bring my camera up to drop off… “so embarassing, mom!”)

Here’s fourth grade (Ms. Barker):

First Day of School 004

(You can see my reflection in the screen door window!!)

And this morning:

IMG_0755

Quite the little Beiber, isn’t he? Of course, he’s never even seen Justin Beiber, but he was proud to have the longest hair amongst his friends.

His fifth grade teacher is Mrs. Rathe, whom he really likes so far. Of course the advantage in 5th is that they switch around a lot, so he has all 3 5th grade teachers for at least one subject. He’s excited about the friends in his class as well, since several of the boys from our sports teams are in there. I think it’s going to be a good year.

One more time…5 years ago:

School 001

And today:

IMG_0754

Sigh.