Thursday, March 15, 2012

This is easy??

Our big airport moment was almost 4 months ago now, and we have had a much easier time than I expected. Actually, we are doing so much better than I expected and prepared myself for, in some ways I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I read and researched a LOT during our season of waiting. I read books, I trolled blogs. I asked adoptive parent friends to be honest with me about the hard parts, because I wanted to be ready. I think when you prepare yourself for the worst, you can be pleasantly surprised when it’s much easier than you expected. And we have been pleasantly surprised.

Even though we’re not experiencing the “worst case scenario” I prepared myself for, this is still one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.

 I do have a story to tell, one that I hope prospective adoptive parents can hear and be ready for: Even on an “easier” path in adoption, this is really hard.

I haven’t experienced any level of post-adoption depression. My feelings for, and attachment to, our new son have progressed exactly as I expected them to.  Micah himself is transitioning beautifully into our family.
And yet…

Read the rest of the story over here, at  A Safe Place to Share, a lovely place of truth and honesty started by some friends from the Ugandan Adoption World. You should look around while you're there - the stories that have been shared over the past few weeks have encouraged,  challenged, and blessed me SO much. Praying that this little corner of blogland would be a window into truth and reality, and help many adoptive parents know they are not alone, as well as help prospective adoptive parents be more prepared for what's ahead.


Sharing Adoption Truth