Friday, January 29, 2010

What I've been doing...

Being snowed in...

Taking care of sick Tobin- he's all better now, but spent last weekend sneezing in my face and laying on top of me, leading to...
Now taking care of sick me... (so thankful that Mama Sara is keeping Tobin today, so I can get some rest!)

Baking (a lot!)... I've been experimenting with yeast breads, which I've always been intimidated by. I'm not much of a kneader (too impatient), but am figuring out how to use my stand mixer for that. Our favorites so far are:
Pull apart garlic bread
Cinnamon Swirl Bread (so yummy...I think Matt fell a little bit more in love with me because of this bread)
Super cheap and easy french bread (I tried a new soup recipe this week - Italian wedding soup, with meatballs; the boys liked the soup, I thought it was just OK. But we all loved the bread!)

Knitting... Pictures coming soon :). Earlier in the month, during our second set of 3 snow days, I decided that I needed something besides baking as a hobby - otherwise we're all going to be as big as a house! So I got on the internet & taught myself how to knit! So far I've made a hat for Luke...that's actually a hat for Tobin, because I got the sizing wrong, and a curly scarf for me (that's also a little short... sizing is not my forte, apparently!) I had the needles and some yarn on hand already because about 4 years ago I tried to learn to knit, but gave up after just a little bit. My sweet MIL also gave me a bunch of old yarn (orange and black, and this awesome 70s multicolored with green and orange and brown :D) to practice with. I really like it, I like having something to do with my hands while the boys are watching a movie, or after they go to bed, if Matt & I are watching TV (I don't know if I'll be able to knit during LOST, now that it's FINALLY coming back...)

AND...In the last week or so, I've been scrapbooking. I have a coupon for a free photobook from shutterfly.com which expires on 1/31, so I've been quickly putting together a 2009 digital scrapbook for our family. I finished last night - that's the GREAT thing about digital scrapbooking, you can do it even when you're home sick, flat on your back on the couch! Coming soon, to a blog near you... :)