Monday, January 23, 2012

Capture Gratitude (1000 Gifts)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“There is no event so common place but that God is present within it, always hidden, always leaving you room to recognize Him or not to recognize Him.”  Fredrick Buechner               ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tobin has been sick ALL WEEK LONG. I took him to the doctor Tuesday (as in a week ago tomorrow.) He tested positive for strep, which is what I expected - he was running a fever, had a sore throat and a tummy ache. They put him on Amoxicillin, so I thought we were good to go. We went to our preschool music class Wednesday @ 11, since Tobin had been on antibiotics for 24 hours, and he seemed to be feeling much better. We went out to lunch afterwards (Buffalo Wild Wings - my mom LOVES wings), and Tobin ate NOTHING and lay in the booth with his head in my lap. Even though I'd ordered him Mac & Cheese, his absolute favorite. In retrospect, I should have been more worried, but since he'd woken up at 4AM screaming from his tummy and generally not feeling well, I just thought he was tired. It was all downhill from there. I called the doctor again on Thursday, but they said they like to give it the antibiotic 72 hours. Ok. So every day, Tobin seemed fine, like he was getting better (which is why we were out and about some). And then at night, his fever would spike and he'd wake up at 4am miserable. I am SO TIRED.

Sunday afternoon I took him to urgent care because frankly, we need to sleep. They switched his antibiotic and last night he slept through the night and woke up without a fever. YAY! But it's been a long week.

AND I just dropped my mom off at the airport. Sigh.

So if ever there was a week when I needed to be counting gifts, this is IT!


32. PRESCHOOL MUSIC
We missed out on quite a few fun plans this week - most notably, the Omaha Children's Museum with my awesome sister-in-law and nieces. And lunch at the newly opened Chick-Fil-A. I may or may not be bitter about the "wish you were here" picture of them eating their Chick-Fil-A sandwiches.

We did NOT miss preschool music - and I sure hope we didn't infect the whole class. Are you still contagious on antibiotics that aren't working to heal you? 

Anyway... We are signed up for a fun time every Wednesday morning with one of my boys' favorite people, teacher Susie. Sue leads the children's worship at our church and has a music studio. I love seeing the boys learn music and also have a great time with fun friends.

 Our little Ugandan was a little unsure at first (as he is in every new situation.) But his LOVE for music, singing and dancing won him over QUICKLY. I think we're raising a future rock star. Or broadway dancer. Or classical musician.

33. Friends on the same path
Our other outing this week (at which I ALSO thought Tobin was feeling better, and hope we didn't infect everyone else) was a get together for Nebraska families who've adopted or are adopting. We had a sweet time (as always) with our friends the Blockers, and also got to meet an internet friend face-to-face. Erin and her family are waiting on their referral, and it was fun to (hopefully) encourage them and get to know them.



34. SHELTER
I am thankful that despite having my mom here and being woken up at 4am most days this week, I have had some time to read and pray. I had pretty regular reminders that I NEED the Lord, and am thankful that He always fills my cup, when I'm willing to lift it to Him.

This week I'm reading about how He is my shelter. I want to make my home in Him.

 

35. FOOTIE PAJAMAS
I know, I'm obsessed. But Tobin has felt really left out of the footie pajama club, and I found some on clearance (for $3!!) at Target for him this week. He was so excited. So here are my footie boys:

Of course, being feverish, T was way too hot in footie pajamas, so he hasn't worn them since this picture was taken. Maybe we'll try again tonight, I think they just came out of the laundry.

36. HELP (and the beauty of organization.)
Wouldn't it have been nice of me to treat my mom and let her really relax on her vacation? Especially since we were relatively homebound?

Nope: I put her to work. We took advantage of the time stuck at home to tackle some big organization projects. The biggest was my craft area, which was a MESS. It was once relatively organized. And then I learned to sew. And several people gave me large bags of hand-me-down fabric, which had no home, so ended up being piled up all around my little craft corner. It was ugly to look at and unpleasant to work in.

Thursday it was FREEZING here (and Tobin was obviously not well, as opposed to looking like he felt better.) So we holed up in the basement and I organized while my mom folded fabric.

And folded and folded and folded.

This is halfway through.
And here's the end result, which was ALMOST worth being homebound for 2 days and missing out on the Omaha Children's Museum and Chick-Fil-A.


Aaaaah. Beauty.

Honestly, I would never have gotten it finished without Mom's help. She got me going (it was pretty overwhelming to decide where to even start). She did the grunt work part, and kept me on task when I wanted to quit. So. Thankful.

37. DADDY TIME
It was a good week for my mom to be here, since it was the first week of college ministry events. #1 I would usually have been at those events, but have stepped back from most things as we transition into a family of 5. I'm happy to be right where I am, but also missing out on my usual activity (and missing many people!) But #2 Matt was gone a LOT this week. For both of those reasons, it was good to have my mom here right now.

But even better than that is a Daddy who, even in the midst of a busy week and very little down time for himself, takes any time he can to love on his boys.

38. NANA
I wish she lived closer, along with my whole family and many others who are near and dear to me. But since I'm not in charge of that... I'll stick with being SUPER grateful that my mom is such a wonderful Nana, and that she was able to come for a nice long visit.
 



And every time Micah Marvin says sadly, "Nana. Airplane. Bye." And every time Tobin says, "But WHY did Nana have to leave? She could have stayed longer!" I'll just keep giving thanks.  And keep giving thanks and keep giving thanks. Because if this afternoon is any indication, they're both going to say these things a LOT. :)