Monday, January 2, 2012

Capture Gratitude (1000 Gifts)

                 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“There is no event so common place but that God is present within it, always hidden, always leaving you room to recognize Him or not to recognize Him.”  Fredrick Buechner

                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. AN AWESOME MOTHER-IN-LAW
I am a lucky lady. I married an absolutely wonderful man, and there are many things that made me want to marry him. But I would have married him it just for his family. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are 2 of my best friends, and not many women can say that.

Sara is wonderful in many ways, and is the BEST mother-in-law I know. She's also a fantastic wife. It's nice to have a mother-in-law who is so happily married, and such a wonderful example.

We spent Christmas afternoon at my in-laws, and I noticed her "to do" list for the week before Christmas sitting on the table in the breakfast room:


Make prailines, truffles, vacuum, KISS HUSBAND. Love it.

14. FUZZY SOCKS
I am a Texas girl transplanted to a place where I often think the winter is personally trying to kill me (although this year I can hardly complain. This is Texas winter weather at it's finest!)

In addition to hot coffee, fuzzy socks are vital to my survival here. I've been collecting them since I moved here, but I've developed kind of a problem recently. It's called, "HELP, my kids are stealing my fuzzy socks!!" I have some light blue ones (that make my feet look like muppets), and several red pair. But those have been ruthlessly stolen by my two oldest boys.

Luke put socks on his Christmas list this year, and I mentioned to our family that the boys are sock thieves. Matt's dad & stepmom bought me REALLY GIRLY fuzzy socks (this pair came with similar ones in bright yellow and purple.) They also brought each of the boys fuzzy socks, they even found some non-girly ones for Luke. Hopefully the boys having their own socks means we can ALL be cozy. :)


15. TEXAS WEATHER
The weather this week has been just GLORIOUS. I've been able to exercise outside, and took a walk with the boys (and dog) several days this week. We even took Micah for his first trip to the neighborhood park.

It does feel like we could use some actual winter weather - I do want to wear my scarves and boots. But I won't complain about a little flip flop weather in the middle of winter!!

16. FLOWERS FROM MY HONEY
 I have ISSUES with New Year's Eve. It makes me grouchy and funky.

Matt wasn't sure what to do with me. He knew I was in a funk, but didn't know how to help me get out of it. At one point, he actually made me do what I make the boys do when they're grouchy - tell him 5 things I'm thankful for. :)

After I was coming out of my funk and going ahead with my fun plan for the day, Matt & Tobin went to the store to grab a few things we needed. Tobin came in the door SO PROUD of himself, bringing me these:

I love Gerber Daisies. And I love getting flowers, something that doesn't happen nearly as often as I thought it did for married ladies. :) What I love the most about this particular bouquet is that Matt let Tobin be the one to bring it in to me, and Tobin loved being the hero. So cute.

17. FUN PLANS ON NEW YEAR'S EVE
I am SO thankful that I chose to come out of my funk and make a fun day for our family. It was so tempting to just crawl into bed, let the boys do whatever they wanted, and just be grouchy. But instead we made fun memories and had a lovely day together.

 Attitude really is a choice. I don't always make the right one, but I'm sure thankful that on this day I did. It was an awfully GOOD year to end it in a grouchy funk.


18. A NEW LITTLE HUSKER IN OUR FAMILY
We spent today at my in-laws watching the Huskers stink up the joint in their bowl game. It was fun to introduce Micah Marvin to "GO BIG RED" and Husker games at Grammie & Papa's.
(And before all my Aggie friends freak out... No I don't have any Aggie clothes for MM yet. We'll get some when we're in TX later this year. Or you can send me some!)

19. A BORROWED FIREPLACE
I make due with my hot coffee and fuzzy socks (and more blankets than you can imagine - we use a LOT of blankets in the winter!) But what I'd really love on a cold winter day is a fireplace. Today was the first wintery day we've had in a while, and I'm so glad to be at my in-laws'. Sitting in front of their fireplace and drinking the Pioneer Woman's hot chocolate (DECADENT. As you'd expect from the PW!) has been just heavenly. LOVE.